Applications for 2018 are open until March 18th 2018
You can apply for a grant up to $5,000 USD. Grant money is flexible, it can be used over a period of 12 months for general support and/or projects, and are open to renewal.
You do not need to be a legally registered organization to apply.
Priority will be given to:
- Small, emerging grassroots groups with little or no access to funding from larger donors
- Groups, networks, or collectives based in Sub Saharan Africa, South, Southeast, East Asia and the Pacific, The Middle East and North Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean and Central, Southern, Eastern Europe and Central and North Asia)
- Groups located in remote, underserved areas
- Groups that are made up of and/or working with socially excluded and disadvantaged young women, trans* and intersex youth, especially: refugees, ethnic, national and caste minorities, rural women, urban disadvantaged, lesbian, bisexual, trans*, women and trans* living with HIV and AIDS, sex workers, women and trans* with disabilities, women and trans* living or working in armed conflicts and post conflict zones, women and trans lead unions, groups working on climate justice, land rights
- Groups using creative and innovative strategies to further their activism (including art, music, culture, poetry, social media, feminist activist driven research etc
Outreachy helps people from groups underrepresented in free and open source software get involved. We provide a supportive community for beginning to contribute any time throughout the year and offer focused internship opportunities twice a year with a number of free software organizations.
Currently, internships are open internationally to women (cis and trans), trans men, and genderqueer people. Additionally, they are open to residents and nationals of the United States of any gender who are Black/African American, Hispanic/Latin@, American Indian, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander. We are planning to expand the program to more participants from underrepresented backgrounds in the future.
The next round of Outreachy internships will have an application deadline in October, and internship dates from early December to early March. Coding, design, documentation and other projects will be available. The applicants will be asked to select a project with one of the participating organizations and collaborate with a mentor listed for that project to make a relevant contribution to the project during the application process.
The accepted participants work remotely, while being guided by their mentor, and receive $5,500 stipend. It’s expected that the participants are able to have the internship work be a primary focus during the internship dates and spend 40 hours a week on it.